I refer you to my post on the Golden Globes 2011, where I was extremely disappointed in the dresses, very few celebs displayed any show stoppers and it was a struggle to form a best-dressed list.
However this year was very different… the stylists stepped up their game by a long shot. I think last year has been vaporized into oblivion by this years array of stunning gowns.
My one to watch last year was Michelle Williams, and again this year I’ve really enjoyed seeing her red carpet choices leading up to the Globes. She’d been sticking to a palette of monochrome and so I was hoping for some colour and I was not disappointed, Michelle demonstrated that understated glamour she is so good at (ignoring the Valentino from last year) with a purple velvet Jason Wu column dress and picked up the award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for her portrayal of Marilyn Monroe. 9/10
Evan Rachel Wood was my favourite of the night, she is never afraid of wearing a show-stopper and this Gucci Premiere gown was simply beautiful. She reminds me of a mermaid, with feathers. 9.5/10
Dianna Agron wasn’t featured prominently on any best/worst dressed lists, I suppose her star power is still at a B- for a television actress, but her red laser cut Giles dress is a star to me. Very reminiscent of the Marchesa dress that Rachel McAdams wore at Cannes but edgier. I think it would have worked even better if it didn’t have the slight train and was cut with a flare at the ankle. 8/10
I loved Claire Danes‘ neon pink Calvin Klein from last years Golden Globes, this year she picked a monochrome J. Mendel dress. I loved it but I think that’s because of the back, I’m a lover of bare backs and this was a hit purely for that reason and the red lips. Still she went on to pick up the Globe for Best Actress in a TV Drama for the epic show that is Homeland, congratulations. 7.5/10
Kudos to Paula Patton for daring to wear THE brightest dress ever made. Her sunshine yellow Monique Lhullier dress showed Sarah Michelle Gellar how to do the designer the correct way. Honestly, SMG turned up in a godawful inky blue and white dress with a huge bustle around the waist which just totally overwhelmed her and then she made the excuse that her daughter Charlotte picked it out… Yeah put the blame on the innocent child poor thing. SMG gets a ridiculously low -2/10 whilst Paula shines with 7/10.
Salma Hayek looked gorgeous in Gucci, I don’t think I’d be able to guess how old she is when she busts out a dress like this. Sleek and sexy, gorgeous but no mutton. An easy 8/10.
As a rule to myself I never EVER include Tilda Swinton on any lists, because she is a force of her own making. An individualist at heart she just refuses to conform. This time however her Golden Globes outfit was by no means extreme nor was it simple and boring, but a light blue Haider Ackermann creation which she carried off without breaking a sweat. I really liked the styling, the matching cuffs and quiffy ice blonde hair (it’s like she’s always the White Queen) , an icy 7/10.
The best of the rest include:
- A stunning Kate Beckinsale who really doesn’t seem to age in Roberto Cavalli a graceful 8/10.
- Katherine McPhee in a shock horror mid-length gown by Donna Karan. A refreshing change but the colour was a bit drab 6.5/10.
- Nicole Richie is a favourite of mine, I liked her Julien Macdonald dress but I didn’t love it, the bling was fantastic though 7/10.
- Madeleine “Victoria” Stowe, the Revenge actress didn’t scoop any awards but looked electric in a cornflower blue Vera Wang custom creation 7.5/10.
- Although I don’t favour this dress on Lea Michele because she just sexed it up way too much, the pose, the smoky eye it just doesn’t sit right. I love the green cocktail ring and the dress itself but really not her, one day she will do something simple and understated and will still look amazing, a stingy 6/10.
- Diane Lane really shows everyone else how to do it, the actress looked elegant in a gold embellished Reem Acra gown 8.5/10.
- Emma Stone’s Lanvin gown kind of underwhelmed me, I love her and the make up was gorgeous but I was expecting something showstopping, maybe she’s saving it for when she’s nominated, 6.5/10.
- Mila Kunis rocked up in a black Dior dress, she looked nice but clearly was there in a supporting capacity and not to steal the scene, a lacklustre 6.5/10.
- I was really on the fence with Jessica Biel’s choice of Elie Saab Couture. He makes THE best red carpet dresses and she chose this? It’s kind of old lady up top with this beautiful skirt. Sort it out Jess you’re not going to wear this at your wedding I hope, 5.5/10.
- I would like to say to Nicole Kidman to get rid of the long hair and tight dresses, and wear something that makes you look your age and not a tacky wannabe. 3/10 just because it’s Versace.